Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have had 2 prolapse ops in the past, last being 2009.

Customer Question

Hi , I have had 2 prolapse ops in the past, last being 2009. I spilt to the gynocologist recently about having a procedure carried out to tighten my vaginal wall , she told me there was no such procedure , I mentioned vaginoplasty as I'd heard of it somewhere, her reply was you have nerve damage so there would be no point , I then said suggested it go private and she told me she wouldn't carry out the op privately either. So what does this mean, am I now a hopeless case who can never enjoy a sex life again ?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
HelloI amCustomerand I would be helping you today.Your case seems to be a complicated one with failure of two surgeries to treat the uterine prolapse.As a general rule uterine prolapse is a result of weakness of pelvic floor and pelvic ligaments which are unable to hold up the uterus in it's normal anatomical position.Loosening of vagina has no role in pathology of prolapse.Therefore tightening the vagina with vaginoplasty is not expected to help.If nerve damage is present as well the chances of success of surgical treatment decreases as pelvic floor muscles cannot be strengthened to optimal extent in presence of nerve damage.I understand that this may not be the answer you were expecting but I have to tell you the whole truth and anything else will be unethical on my part.Hope you understand.This is the initial answer.Please reply if you need to know anything more.If you are finished with the question give me a positive rating as we are paid per rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would vaginoplasty surgery not give my husband better sensation even that would make me feel a lot better .
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for replying.Vaginoplasty can help tighten the vaginal vault if it has become lax as a result of child birth.It would not help in treating prolapse.Whether you are a candidate for vaginoplasty procedure can be determined only by a surgeon who can examine you in person.If your gynecologist is not agreeing to operate for vaginoplasty you should contact a plastic surgeon as this procedure is usually done by plastic surgeons.