Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Last 14 days and possibly the month before I have been

Customer Question

For the last 14 days and possibly the month before I have been taking cilest contraceptive pill that expires 08/15. I went to the doctor who said that it doesn't expire until the end of the month and that I was protected. He gave me a new prescription. I was too flustered at the time to state that it is the end of the month. 28/08/15.
Was I definitely protected before now?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this pill has definitely protected you throughout this time. Your doctor is correct that any time that a pill is marked with a month for its expiration date, it means the end of the month.

In addition, this does not mean that the pill suddenly loses potency like flipping a switch. All medicines will only gradually lose potency once past the expiration date, so even if the full pack is not completed by Monday, there would still be protection in whatever pills remain to be taken, and it will continue to provide protection through the end of the pack.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.