Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My DHEA readings are very low - mean 0.09 and my total cortsol

My DHEA readings are very low - mean 0.09 and my total cortsol 11.9
DHEA/cortiol ratio 0.76
I have hypothyrodism and take 125 units of throxine daily
when my cortiol goes above 16 to 18 my psa goes up with it
I was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer 8 years ago and less than 1% live this long
Signs of my thyroid problems have always been shortened eyebrows, terrible writing due to lack of finger control , and my voice becoming much lower and hard to hear.
these do not exist at present. What does is inability to lose weight, more than just a grey depression ,continual tiedness,
My body temperatre is nrmal 36.7 and blood pressure (pacemaker) around 125/75 with average pulse rate around 87 9pacemaker)
Adding a small amount of t3 has changed nothing
My feeling is that current problems are associated with my lery low DHEA questions surrounding taking DHEA or 7 - Keto DHEA are
1 Will this have an effect on my psa9 1.2 after nearly eight years there seems to be three camps yes, no and yes and no!
2 should i use DHEA or 7 - Keto DHEA which does not covert to testosterone
3 what doses should I start with and build up to
4 my reverse t3 has never been checked, nor my pituary gland or(possible) my iodine levels
I have been on lithium and MIOA's for last 25 years due to a prolonged period of stress resulting in clinical depression. I take Isocarbazid and lithium for this. lithium can have some effect on the thyroid and later research shows Isocaboxazid may damage vitamin B6 may i know more
Malcolm Redman
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I still need assistance please.

Malcolm Redman

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I still need assistance please

The reason that you are finding different opinions is that the evidence is not solidly favoring either yes or no. There has been a study that suggested that prostate cancer is more common in men with higher DHEA levels, but this does not prove causation, as the high DHEA levels can be a sign of other issues that can be contributing to the risk of prostate cancer. There also has been animal studies that indicate that DHEA supplementation can be protective and reduce the risk of prostate cancer. There has not yet been a study that has followed men with a history of prostate cancer taking a DHEA supplement over time to determine whether it increases the risk for recurrence.

So, within the fact that there is no good evidence, there can be no definite answer to what effect it will have on your PSA. However, the general recommendation in the absence of solid evidence is that it would be wise to avoid DHEA supplementation, because it certainly has the potential of have an adverse effect, and we usually want more solid evidence before recommending supplementation.

It is worth noting that it would be reasonable to check pituitary function, if it has not yet been checked. Measurement of reverse T3 is controversial and many experts do not check it, but most experts would recommend pituitary assessment in someone with multiple endocrine abnormalities.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. I understand the risk /possible reward of using DHEA

however right now I need to understand better the medical down side of my very low low DHEA in terms of its possible effect on causing or accentuating my depression which is severe but not clinical. To me alleviating this is worth any risks re my cancer that increasing my DHEA may cause

Malcolm

It is not always clear whether a low DHEA is the cause of depression or the result of depression, as there is evidence that depression can adversely affect adrenal function. However, there is good evidence that DHEA supplementation will help ease depression and its associated symptoms in many people and even in people with normal DHEA levels. The general recommendation would be to avoid its use in someone with a history of prostate cancer, but if you are willing to accept that risk, then DHEA supplementation would be an option.

In studies that look at depression, the most common dosing regimen is to start taking100 mg daily and then increasing the dose by another 100 mg daily every week or two until symptoms improve or a maximum of 500 mg daily is reached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your reply re depression and DHEA. I shall first have a pituitary assessment. Then if this is ok start on a small dose of DHEA and keep a very close eye on my PSA levels.

Many thanks for your help

Malcolm

You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry but forgot to ask just one question:

I have tried the patch iodene test but realise even at best its subject to far too many variables to rely on - in my case three times in a week the stain disappeared in less than 12 hours.

T3 and T4 have i believe 3/4 molecules Iodene.

Is there any way reasonable way of geting my iodene levels checkedatb a 'body level - is the urine load test worth doing?

Malcolm

Diagnosing iodine deficiency can be difficult, but the urinary tests are generally considered the more accurate method of diagnosis, and the most common method would be on a 24 hour urine collection.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much

My best wishes

Malcolm

You are most welcome.