Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I keep smelling things that just aren't there, the main smell

I keep smelling things that just aren't there, the main smell is sewerage from the toilet and bathroom. Nobody else can smell anything, even the plumber who I called. I also get coffee even though I don't drink it. I'm not sure if it's connected but two years ago I had meningitis encephalitis and hydrocephalus but thankfully walked away pretty unscathed.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the question.You are suffering a symptom called phantosmia.There can be many causes of this problem, can be caused by problem in the nasal passages e.g infection, polyp or problem in nervous system e.g brain trauma, epilepsy, tumour etc.Most probably it is because of your previous conditions i.e encephalitis and hydrocephalus. I would suggest you must visit your primary care physician and get a thorough examination of your ear nose and throat and CNS, so that anything serious should be ruled out. Mostly it subsides with time. Meanwhile you can rinse nasal passages with saline to get relief.Let me know if you have further questions.Please leave a positive rating.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if this is due to my brain viruses can it be cured or will it go away completely?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
It is not from viruses rather insult to brain tissue at that time. You would not have any virus now. Yes it goes away completely but sometimes the cause is other so it is important to treat the cause. It is best to get your thorough examination.Please leave a positive rating.Best.