Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm getting an intermittent pain in my left knee. It can start

I'm getting an intermittent pain in my left knee. It can start gradually and get worse. It only hurts when I put weight on it. This can last for a few minutes or a few hours and then dissappear almost instantly. It can come back a while later.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,The pain inside the knee joint with weight bearing suggests wear and tear on the meniscus the membrane covering the bony surfaces forming the joint.The reduced amount of lubricating fluid in the joint makes it more apparent.In other words, you are developing osteoarthritis of the joint.Natural supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, Turmeric can be tried daily to prvent further progression.Over the counter medications like Ibuprofen can be tried for immediate pain control.Please apply ice and heat alternately every 5 minutes to reduce joint inflammation.Please use a knee sleeve during walking to support the joint well.Avoid too much walking for a week or so till the pain subsides.For persistent symptoms, you will need to see a specialist called orthopedic specialist for further evaluation.Intra articular injections of steroid and Hyaluronic acid derivatives often provide long lasting relief.Knee strengthening exercises also help a lot to reduce the symptoms and improve your mobility.Here is a link to the types of exercises favored for this problem:http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00564 Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate myresponse Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This doesn't explain why it can dissappear almost instantly to return later.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Does it disappear while you are walking, or with rest?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yesterday I was experiencing it and I crouched down to get something out of the cupboard and when I got up again it had gone. It stayed away for a couple of hours and then returned.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Let's explain what happened here.When you crouch down you are exerting too much pressure on the meniscus causing the pain.Now when you stand up and lighten up on your knee, the joint fluid returns between the surfaces resulting in the relief of the pain. But this is temporary -- there is relative wear and tear of the meniscus which causes the return of the symptoms after some time.That is the course of the disease in early stages.But can get worse without any treatment over time.But if you follow the above suggestion, you will see definite improvement over time like most people with similar conditions do. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate myresponse Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/