Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My son is a recovering alcoholic, just in the last 6 months.He

My son is a recovering alcoholic, just in the last 6 months.He is 42. he has damaged liver and other problems which lead to him being hospitalised for several weeks.He now suffers from severe in balance when walking. is this a common symptom and how long will it take for his balance to return to normal? Thank you. Andrea.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andrea. No, this isn't common for a recovering alcoholic but it may be a sign that his liver is failing. Other possibilities would be a vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, a stroke, or even a brain tumor. If he hasn't been evaluated for this he needs an exam, blood work, an MRI of the brain, and a neurology referral. Let me know if you need more information please