Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a 2 red patches on my scrotum which are very itchy

I have a 2 red patches on my scrotum which are very itchy and ooze occasionally. The skin on in these red patches looks irritated/inflamed. There is a persistent itch in that area. I have never had sex. Also I did shave in that area about 2 weeks ago and this problem has flared up since them, I'm not sure if they're related . Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. There are two possibilities here-- One would be tinea cruris--a yeast/fungal infection The other would be inflammatory eczema The daktarin cream is for fungus but it may not be powerful enough and you may need prescription ketoconazole cream For the inflammatory eczema, if that's the case, cortisone cream or prescription tacrolimus cream would be the treatment. I'd suggest for now instead of trying the cortisone cream since if this if fungal that will make things worse, you see a doctor about this and get the proper treatment Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks .

Can you tell me if me shaving has anything to do with the problem. Also at the moment the daktarin cream provides little/no itch relief, do you know how long it would take the cream to have an effect? Can I do anything else to relive the itch ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Shaving could definitely make it worse. For now I suggest you try Caladryl cream for the itch. If you were referring to the daktarin cream that should have taken effect within two days of using it. The same would be true of the ketoconazole or cortisone creams