Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My boyfriends ribs are hurting he can't sleep in his own bed

Customer Question

My boyfriends ribs are hurting he can't sleep in his own bed told him to get some pain relief so sleeping in the sofa to see if it shifts.He has had since yesterday is there anything i should be doing apart from observe him till he wakes up.He is a smoker to.Hope i can get advice ssoon thanks x
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Pain in the ribs in someone without recent trauma is most often due to inflammation along the joints along the rib cage. It is also fairly common to get some inflammation along the site of muscle insertion into the rib cage, a type of tendinitis.

It is also possible to get pain just beneath the ribs associated with chest infections, but there would usually be other lung symptoms.

For either of these common causes of rib pain, there are a couple of home interventions that may help. It would be reasonable to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply moist heat to the ribs, either as a moist heating pad, soaking in hot water, or hot compresses.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.