DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Last week i was prescribed with citalopram 10mg. I took

Customer Question

Hi, last week i was prescribed with citalopram 10mg. I took one that morning and another the morning after, 15 minutes later i was being sick and had almost all the common side effects, i did not take anymore tablets after that. Its now been 6 days since and i still feel very light headed and nauseous. Are these just side effects that will wear off? If so how long will it take? I'd never been on any prescribed antidepressants before hand, those 2 tablets were my first.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the question.The half life of citalopram is quite long so it can take about 5 to 7 days to clear the drug completely from your body. So it might be the side effect of the drug. If it does not settle down in a day or two you should think about other causes and get yourself examined by your primary physician to rule out anything serious. Meanwhile keep yourself well hydrated.Please leave a positive rating.Wish you good health.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloI disagreeTalk to the prescribing doctor NOW.This could have been an initial adjustment to the medication. It can take 4 to 6 weeks for it to work correctly.Don't just stop it without telling your doctor.The medication can be changed. If you read all the side effects first...this can be a problem as well if this is anxiety disorder.Talk with your doctor today about stopping this, continuing it, or changing it. Please click a positive rating on any of MY posts specifically for me to receive credit.I am a double board certified US doctor and will strive to give you correct answers, always.Let me know if you have more questions.See my offer.