DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Can you take propranolol and Viagra together?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering, expert in internal and sexual medicine, and pleased to help you.
Yes, you can. The only medication which you may never take in combination with Viagra are nitroglycerin tablets or sprays. They could lower your blood pressure hazardously in combination with Viagra.
There is no problem with Propanolol.
Have fun!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI disagree.First, your doctor has to approve this.Second, in some individuals viagra can lower blood pressure, and this effect can cause problems if the blood pressure is already being lowered.AlsoDid your doctor prescribe this or are you trying it.Why are you on propanalol...for heart disease? Do NOT take viagra without clearance. I am a double board certified US doctor and will always give you correct answers.Please give me further information about your situation if so desired.Also see my offer. Please click a positive rating.Come back as needed.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on beta blockers for anxiety
I have taken Viagra and propranolol before fine - just never taken them together
The only time I felt at all weird on Viagra was when I took a large dose of 100mg by mistake - it made it feel hard to speak and gave me a red face
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKI did not get answers from you.If you are taking viagra without a diagnoses for ED, as well as addressing underlying causes, then no, you should not take it.There is no way to say the effect of taking the drugs at the same time.Probably OK, but not necessarily. That should be monitored by your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I accept your offer? The system isn't letting me
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It should.
I can not see your end.
Contact customer service and they can tell you.
Let me know if you have any problems.
I had the pleasure to work free lance for Bayer healthcare and teach fellow doctors about vardenafil. During my training I had the chance to read the studies concerning the combination of beta- blockers and pde5- inhibitors. There never has been a significant decrease of bp, mostly non at all! Therefore a combination of both is ok without the need of further consultation. Of course it is always sensible to talk to your doctor when you take a new medication (here I agree with Dr. Thomas and I hope you don't buy Sildenafil without prescription somewhere). You could have become dizzy when Propanolol lowered your pulse or bp too much, or when you strained yourself a little bit too much. But you don't have to fear a serious complication due to this combination. This is to explain why I gave you the "green light" without any further comment. Not every doctor had the chance to read the scientific background as thoroughly as I luckily had.Best regards!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I disagree and stand by my answer
I did not say the combination is bad, if you will review my answer.
In fact, viagra alone can lower blood pressure.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11992853
This is a fact, both in studies and in clinical practice.
And, you could effectively be on two blood pressure lowering drugs at the same time.
This requires supervision by your doctor which was not mentioned until my answer.
I am a double board certified US doctor with over 20 years of clinical experience.
Patients have indeed gotten into trouble by using this combination, and thus the monitoring and permission from your doctor are indeed needed.