Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm having an unusual period. I'm on day 20. 17 day have been

I'm having an unusual period. I'm on day 20. 17 day have been extremely heavy with clots the size of the palm of my hand. I'm due to go on holiday in 2 wks and the doctor has prescribed me tranexamic acid. When reading the medication advice said I should start this at beginning and for no more than 4 days (I've been given 2 boxes of 60. Im so tired I could cry every 5 minutes and I don't know what to do or how to make them take me seriously.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm worried that the underlying problem isn't being addressed.
Plus, you are tired because you are becoming anemic from all the bleeding.
Most, likely you need a pelvic ultrasound to determine what is going on. Uterine fibroids would be a common example of excess bleeding. Do you have fibroids?
Also, your iron level should be tested.
You probably need supplements to raise the hemoglobin (blood level)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've never been diagnosed with fibroids and I've never considered having it checked as until this one time I've not needed it. The doctor said I needed to stop bleeding before they could check me for anything.
That is not entirely correct. You can still have an ultrasound But they could also check your iron level at least to start you on supplements so you don't feel so tired
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you.