Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is there any reason why an elderly person cannot have a "peg

Customer Question

Is there any reason why an elderly person cannot have a "peg feed" system and still live with her family, at home with regular nurse visits, a full time carer and monitoring?.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just to be clear here does she already have the PEG in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the doctors in the hospital are considering fitting the peg as she cannot take in food/fluids. Some one has said that a feeding peg means she HAS to live in a nursing home. I don't see why.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Maria.

No, there's no reason she'd have to be in a nursing home with the PEG system. The family can take care of the feedings along with the regular nursing visits and the full time care giver in place

Let me know if you need any more information plese