Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Had about 6 months. Smoke when I drink and occasionally when

Had about 6 months. Smoke when I drink and occasionally when not drinking. Shortness of breath and a cough which often produces yellow phlegm. Due to going out a lot my sleeping pattern is not normal but I don't sleep a lot and remain awake if I drink. Shortness of breathe mostly noticeable in the evening and night time. Cough and short of breathe doesn't go away but some days more noticeable than others.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Shortness of breath and productive cough suggest underlying inflammation of the airways.This can be due to the asthma or allergies to the environment, or smoking induced.Chronic bronchitis from smoking is likely also.It is better to give up smoking for long term benefits.The symptoms can be addressed with oral inhalers.Albuterol inhaler provide quck relief while a long acting steroid inhaler like Fluticasone will control the inflammation in the airways and help with the healing process over time.Please discuss with your doctor also.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/