Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am experiencing numbness, tingling above my upper lip and

I am experiencing numbness, tingling above my upper lip and cheekbone area, also in my arms down to my hands, especially my right one. Have an itchy scalp ( no dandruff or lice )....very fatigued
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Have you noticed any activity that eases or worsens the symptoms?
How long has this been bothering you?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not noticed anything that makes symptoms ease or worsen, they tend to come and go without warning....I suppose things have been going on for a fair while, maybe years on and off.....as well as the fatigue I do occasionally feel quite light headed.... I take fluoxetine and a statin for high cholesterol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do feel unwell quite a lot, but can't really pinpoint a certain complaint....
Thank you for the additional information.
Numbness and tingling can be either due to a neurologic or a psychologic cause. With the pattern of numbness and tingling that you describe, it cannot be readily explained by a single anatomic location. A problem in the neck can affect the spinal cord and the nerves going to both arms and the scalp, but would not cause the symptoms in the face and would commonly be affected by activities that create motion of the neck. A lesion in the brain would typically affect one side and not the other. It potentially could be due to multiple lesions, such as an inflammatory condition, but these will usually cause symptoms to develop in a different time frames.
Numbness and tingling can also be due to anxiety/stress and sometimes depression. It is more likely to be due to a psychologic cause when there is no clear anatomic explanation for the pattern of symptoms. However, there is no test that can be done to confirm that numbness and tingling is due to a psychologic cause, so the proof is to exclude neurologic causes or a trial of treatment for any potential psychologic cause to see if it helps ease symptoms.
Your doctor can also have a better idea of the likelihood that it may be neurologic by performing a neurologic exam. If the findings on neurologic exam follow certain anatomic patterns then it would be more likely to be neurologic, but if it does not follow any anatomic pattern, it would be more likely to be psychologic.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your basically saying is that I need to speak to my gp....
Yes, that is reasonable.
You do not mention why you are taking the fluoxetine or whether you have any other medicines that you can take along with the fluoxetine, which may be an option if available. But additional medicines would require a prescription, so if you do not already have a medicine, it would still involve seeing your doctor.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.