Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My mother in law has the remnants of a needle embedded in

Customer Question

Hi my mother in law has the remnants of a needle embedded in a finger and it's been there for over twenty years however the pain it is now giving her is unbearable. She is actually contemplating chopping the end of her finger off as her GP appears reluctant to do anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Has she had an x-ray of the finger?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, apparently they are concerned about causing more damage attempting to remove it, but the pain and discomfort she is experiencing , it's hard to imagine how it could be any worse
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Wayne--has she seen a surgeon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, as of yet you haven't actually provided me with any advise? why therefore would you be requesting further payment? To answer your question she has not seen a surgeon because her GP will not refer her.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That offer more offer was just an automatic thing but you don't have to pay more Wayne. And you aren't debited anything unless I give you and answer and you rate my service.

Would she be able to go private and see a surgeon on her own?

And what exactly does her GP say--just live with it?