Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Hiya, I was picking at my finger and pulled the 'wick' out

Hiya,
I was picking at my finger and pulled the 'wick' out from the side about a week ago.
It's really red, inflamed & hot!
It hurts quite a bit, but not unbareable.
Not sure what to do!
Thanks,
Nicole
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dear NicoleI am Dr.Amita and I would be helping you today.You have probably developed an infection known as paronychia.You need to apply warm compresses to the painful area as that may help decrease the pain.More importantly you need to start taking antibiotics to counter the infection.These can be had on prescription only and you would need to see a doctor for this.You should also keep your hand elevated as this helps decrease the pain.Consultation from a doctor is also needed as abscess can form here and if present abscess would need to be drained by a doctor.