DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was in hospital in July days with Cellulitis and I

I was in hospital in July for 4 days with Cellulitis and I was given I.V. antibiotics. My arm looked like a tree trunk and my hand looked like a baseball glove before the I.V. treatment. Although both my arm and hand are still their normal size right now,
the source of the infection (the left elbow) still looks as though I have a squash ball sown into it. It doesn't feel hot to touch but the flesh around the joint is puffy and it aches from time to time. I was given almost 3 weeks or oral antibiotics after
leaving hospital but they had no effect whatsoever on the inflammation of the elbow itself. At what point should I follow up with this? My gut feel is that unless the elbow is hot to the touch or the swelling starts to progress up or down the arm again, then
my GP probably wouldn't be concerned. Is that a correct assumption? Many thanks MalcolmXXX
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
you should follow up now.
This can not be assessed without close exam.
The joint is there and the infection should be progressively better daily.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the reply. I'll follow it up.regardsMalcolm