Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have travelled from England to Spain before I left I was

Customer Question

I have travelled from England to Spain before I left I was experiencing some pain in my right side which I had been taking ibuprofen, thinking that i had pulled a muscle, since arriving here I have developed a rash and the pain in my side is still there and it is a burning stabbing sensation, I was wondering if there is anything else that i could take, I have looked this up and suspect that it could be shingles, the rash has slightly worsened, could you advise what I should do
Wendy McDermott dob 4.1.1959 ***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The description is suspicious for shingles. If it is shingles, then it is important that you be seen quickly. Shingles will resolve spontaneously, but it will resolve more quickly if an antiviral medicine is started quickly. In addition, starting an antiviral medicine quickly will reduce the likelihood that certain complications can occur, particularly nerve pain that can persist for months and years after the active shingles has resolved.
The antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir and valacyclovir, are not available over the counter in most countries, so it would be better to be seen quickly, possibly in a Walk-in clinic that can see people without an appointment.
If you have a picture that you can attach, I can better comment upon whether this may be shingles or something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please find attached a picture of the rash
Yes, this is worrisome for being shingles. It would be better for you to be seen for a formal diagnosis and starting on one of the antiviral medicines.