Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My daughter has been prescribed 100g Trimethoprim kidney

Customer Question

My daughter has been prescribed 100g Trimethoprim for a kidney infection by the consultant at the hospital when she went for her 12 week scan. Is it safe to take this drug?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. If you meant she was about 12 weeks pregnant, then it would be safe to take the trimethoprim but it should be OK'd by her obstetrician Let me know if you need any more information
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is DR Basu, the expert you requested for.
Trimethoprim should be avoided during pregnancy as it can cause birth defects as per current studies.
The risk is low but can be avoided by prescribing safer antibiotics during pregnancy.
We suggest using Nitrofurantoin to treat urinary tract infection during pregnancy as first line therapy.
Please discuss with her consult about this soon.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions,
Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. There are no studies that firmly conclude that trimethoprim is contraindicated in pregnancy and nitrofurantoin would likely not be effective for recurring urinary tract infections. I'm sure her doctors were confident about the choice of antibiotics here
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is DR Basu, the expert you requested for.Trimethoprim should be avoided during pregnancy as it can cause birth defects as per current studies. This is a folic acid antagonist and can cause nervous system defect.The risk is low but can be avoided by prescribing safer antibiotics during pregnancy.We suggest using Nitrofurantoin 50 to 100 mg daily at bedtime or Cephalexin 500 mg daily at bedtime to prevent recurrent kidney infections during pregnancy.The acute kidney infection should be treated with IV ceftriaxone or cefipime as first line therapy.Please discuss with her consult about this soon.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions,Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/