Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Following mandiblectomy 18 months ago + 8 weeks radiotherapy

Following mandiblectomy 18 months ago + 8 weeks radiotherapy now developed a s swollen lip bleeding sometimes treatment corticosteroids no effect Could it be recurrence of cancer which was stage 4 aggressive ?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

cancer recurrence would tend to be hard and bleed.

surgery and radiation therapy can cause scar tissue and poor lymphatic drainage and cause lymphedema swelling of areas like the lip.

you can ask your doctors to biopsy the lip to confirm for sure if there is cancer or not.

ask your doctors if the swollen lip is due to lymphedema or poor lymphatic drainage after surgery and radiation.

your doctors should have recommended stretching and massage therapy of your neck after surgery and radiation to stretch the scar tissue to prevent hardness and induration.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced InternalMedicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns andprovide great service. Your current symptoms suggest more likely radiation related dermatitis.Grade 3 to 4 dermatitis is likely since you have ulceration and bleeding involving the full thickness of the lip.Cancer recurrence is unlikely.Steroid treatment may not help as it can thin the area and cause more bleeding.Silicone foam like mepilex lite or Radiaplex Rx can be used daily to help with the healing process.Current studies have shown benefits from Curcumin as well.Curcumin at dose of 6 grams daily can be able to reverse the problem over time.You also need a lip biopsy by the way.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5thstar).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/