Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I've been dealing with acid reflux and have had to change

Customer Question

Hi, I've been dealing with acid reflux and have had to change my diet. I eat a healthy balanced diet. I was dairy & gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if symptoms improved. I'm now slowly back on dairy & gluten foods as my symptoms were still the same when was not on them. Recently I have been feeling tired, fatigued, cold hands & feet, anxious & irritable. I have also had some strands coming out. Could this be a sign of a vitamin or mineral deficiency ? I've had a full blood count & that's fine. I have also had b12, iron & thyroid tested and they came back ok. My score for iron was 74 is this still low ? Could I be lacking in either iron, magnesium or vitamin d since have these symptoms ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What is your height and weight? What were the result of your thyroid function test? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im about 5"3, 164cm. I weigh 7st 13/ 8st. Thyroid function test result is 1.6 miu. It's tested from range of 0.27-4.2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recently had hair strands coming out.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,How is your sleep? Does your fatigue worsens with activity and improve with rest? Or does rest have no effect on your fatigue? Do you take any daily medications? Alcohol or smoking history?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sleep fine. I just feel so tired in the day after a walk etc. no medication. Is my thyroid score normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes it is normal. What was your hemoglobin result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 154g/L ( range is from 115-160)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Your hemoglobin result is also normal. Your present symptoms are most probably as a consequence of the increased anxiety and stress you are having at present. Another test that I would recommend is fasting blood glucose, since we also need to rule out diabetes as a cause for these symptoms. Zinc deficiency which occurs in some absorption syndromes may cause some of your symptoms, however this is rare. But if your doctor suspects it, he/she may suggest that you have your serum zinc level tested. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still think I'm lacking in a certain vitamin, anxiety & stress probably doesn't help.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If you want to be investigated to look for a vitamin or trace mineral deficiency, I would suggest that you consult your doctor about zinc deficiency since a deficiency of zinc may present with some of your symptoms. Mild zinc deficiency may be present in many conditions and diseases and may cause the loss of hair, loss of appetite,weight loss, and weakness. Zinc is a trace mineral that is required for many important functions in the body. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/zinc/background/hrb-20060638 Take care.