Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My mum has never smoked 55, never been a drinker but has

Customer Question

Hi my mum has never smoked 55, never been a drinker but has suffered from asthma which is now dealt with and is managed. She started feeling ill 19th July, felt exhausted, tired all the time, fainted once, generally really ill feeling like flu. She did
not have a cough sore throat chest pains anything like that but did suffer from bad night sweats. she went to the doctors and was prescribed antibiotics and is feeling slightly better. But she went for a chest xray and a shadow was shown on her lung she went
back for another xray and are waiting for the results. Any idea what this could be because we are terrified as everything we Google immediately leads to lung cancer and want to know if you had any opinion or idea what it could be as her doctor does not know
what it could be apart from the shadow on the lung which is concerning. Thank you so much for any response (terrified daughter)
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Lung cancer is very, very rare in people who never smoked, therefore you don't have to worry too much. You find shadows in the lung when there is a pneumonia, which is possible. Possible as well, concerning her symptoms and night sweat , is tuberculosis, and this too causes shadows in the chest x- ray.
Both coditions are not too difficult to treat.
Only round shdowss are suspect to lung cancer. Do you know what the shadow looked like?
When will she get her results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply doctor. No unfortunately we do not know what the shadow looks like. We are just so worried because her blood results all came back normal. The GP said the results should be back mid week and have made her an appointment for Wednesday.
Ok, that is not too far away. Tuberculosis becomes the most probable explanation, it doesn't alter the normal blood works considerably. But also a pneumonia is not excluded, when it is not too severere.
If you like, please tell me what your doctor said on Wednesday! I keep my fingers crossed for your mum.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also we just didn't think it could be any of those things I.e tb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry pressed send without finishing... We didn't think it could be those things as she didn't have a cough or chest pain. Is that normal?
Yes. It doesn't exclude these issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so so much uve put my mind at ease... been truly terrified
You are very welcome!