Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

HiI am getting married in November. My partner is fantastic

I am getting married in November. My partner is fantastic and his parents like me as well as mine. We are very happy at the moment. However, I seem to have a huge dislike for his siblings. They have put in no effort with the wedding plans, his sister has decided to put in an effort now!
He is upset as well with his siblings as they have not been there for him although his sister has apologized to him he feels excluded his brother is very rude and has a nasty attitude. His sister never speaks to me although I put in a good effort.
I have told him I do not like his siblings to which he agrees but my fear is if I tell him more for example his siblings do not care for him etc, he will think I am being rude and I worry if his siblings will make me look bad.
Shall I let things be or try to make an effort to tell my partner how I feel?
Jas
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is better that you be honest with your partner and it is better for a relationship if both of you can be honest about your feelings. It is also appropriate that you have a discussion about boundaries and how you would prefer involvement with the family in the wedding and the subsequent family life.

It is also true that certain times may be a bad time for these discussions, but at a proper time, you should be able to share your feelings with him and have these discussions.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.