Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My daughter is 2 and a half and last week or so she

Customer Question

my daughter is 2 and a half and for the last week or so she has been vomiting in bed shortly after going to sleep usually within the first 2 hours, she is sick once and then not again. She is fine all day long with no temperature or other symtoms. This is a recent problem the only other time she gets sick is with coughs and colds. She is currently teething her back 4 molars and complains her teeth hurts on occasion. We have tried propping her up and this helped abit and tried cutting milk out before bed. She is asthmatic but that is all under control. She has been checked by our g.p which cannot find any issue, could you give us some idea??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This sounds like a gastric reflux problem. It may not be a long term problem but for now not having anything by mouth two hours before bedtime may help. If it continues even after that she'd need to see a pediatric gastroenterologist for more evaluation and she may need a medication like Zantac for it Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can this be linked to her teething? if it was gastic reflux then why has it never happened before now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It can just start up at her age. Possibly it's related to her teething but if that's the case it should be over fairly soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if its reflux then wouldnt she have other symtoms and during the day?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily--the reflux can come only while she's in bed and the propping up can help with that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it started so fast like a week ago, we are very concerned for her, please can you confirm that teething back molars could cause sickness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's anything to be terribly concerned about and yes it could just be from the teething
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you, ***** ***** is reflux then could it just go?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--it may only last for a week or so more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Usually it only is associated with the teething for a fairly short time. I've seen this happen with other children and it usually is only a fairly short-term problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

reflux caused by back molar teething? are you sure, how long should we wait til we go back to see a g.p

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am sure and keep her propped up and no feedings within two hours of bedtime. If it continues for more than one more week take her back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so teething can cause temporary reflux?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Indeed it can