Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My daughter is 2 and a half and last week or so she

Customer Question

my daughter is 2 and a half and for the last week or so she has been vomiting in bed shortly after going to sleep usually within the first 2 hours, she is sick once and then not again. She is fine all day long with no temperature or other symtoms. This is a recent problem the only other time she gets sick is with coughs and colds. She is currently teething her back 4 molars and complains her teeth hurts on occasion. We have tried propping her up and this helped abit and tried cutting milk out before bed. She is asthmatic but that is all under control. She has been checked by our g.p which cannot find any issue, could you give us some idea??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This sounds like a gastric reflux problem. It may not be a long term problem but for now not having anything by mouth two hours before bedtime may help. If it continues even after that she'd need to see a pediatric gastroenterologist for more evaluation and she may need a medication like Zantac for it Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can this be linked to her teething? if it was gastic reflux then why has it never happened before now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It can just start up at her age. Possibly it's related to her teething but if that's the case it should be over fairly soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if its reflux then wouldnt she have other symtoms and during the day?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not necessarily--the reflux can come only while she's in bed and the propping up can help with that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it started so fast like a week ago, we are very concerned for her, please can you confirm that teething back molars could cause sickness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't think it's anything to be terribly concerned about and yes it could just be from the teething
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** is reflux then could it just go?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--it may only last for a week or so more
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Usually it only is associated with the teething for a fairly short time. I've seen this happen with other children and it usually is only a fairly short-term problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

reflux caused by back molar teething? are you sure, how long should we wait til we go back to see a g.p

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am sure and keep her propped up and no feedings within two hours of bedtime. If it continues for more than one more week take her back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so teething can cause temporary reflux?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Indeed it can