Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I'm 85. and healthy other than progressive arthritis. I've

Customer Question

I'm 85. and healthy other than progressive arthritis. I've had two knees replaced over the last three years, and now have arthritis coming in my hips. I live on my own, with a daughter not far away, who has epilepsy fits,
I've had, including the last two, six operations in my life. Would it be wise to have hip operations at my age. I have no blood pressure. I'm pretty intelligent (study Latin) and these hip operations would lead to a loss of quality of life. I really don' know what to do for the best. I am not looking forward to old age. Have you any advice for me? Kate
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Basically there is no age limit for having a hip replacement. The decision to have hip replacement is based on the risks and benefits for you. If the hip arthritis is causing a significant decline in your quality of life then you may decide to go ahead with the surgery. You seem to be an ideal candidate for this operation without any diseases, however do have the surgery only when it is causing functional impairment or causing a lot of pain.
Take care.