Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Sorry Dr Love In answer to your question about giving blood,

Customer Question

Sorry Dr Love In answer to your question about giving blood, and I would be tested for HIV, unfortunately I cannot give blood due to all the medications I am on for Thyroid Cancer and OCD and recently Breast Cancer. I help train guide dog pups and today one of them nibbled another puppy walker and drew blood then I took her and she nibbled me and drew blood, then I walked down my garden path without shoes to put some rubbish in a bin and took on a nail or screw, but it did not hurt me badly, can I contract HIV from either of these scenarios?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. You can't possibly contract HIV from either of those scenarios
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Chip, thank you I am still battling on with my fears !! I am now worried because I put something in the garbage bin and pushed the rubbish down, like anybody would I felt something sharp dig into my hand, and I told myself carry on Jane just like normal people would! And now my mind is wondering could someone have thrown a used syringe into my garbage bin and now I have hurt my hand on it! This is something that I cannot check as the bin has been emptied, now my non OCD mind is saying just don't worry and carry on with life, is that what you recommend? Also I have used a perfume with ginger and grapefruit, would this interfere with my Letrozole or do you have to eat it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The perfume won't interfere with your Letrozole Jane.

And you wouldn't get HIV from the garbage bin scenario
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry Dr Chip I will have to cope with this OCD, I am now panicking about a bramble bush hanging over a fence and scratching my head, about dropping my keys near some dried blood and I have to cuts on my fingers one I cut on a staple and the other on my keys I dropped near the blood, tomorrow I have to get into a car which could have HIV blood from a tshirt my son had on when he got splashed by somebody who said they were HIV positive! I think it will be better fore to just flood myself with worries that I have contracted HIV and just think ok I could have HIV and so could everyone if it is that easy to catch!! I will try not to keep asking for reassurance as I think it could make things worse. I will now go Dr Chip and thanks for all you have done for me and I will rate after this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Jane, again none of those scenarios would cause you to contract HIV

Please do remember the rating--thanks
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not even throwing a bucket of water on the path where the blood was or is and it splashing me in the eye? To rate you so I click on smiley face? I also have tried taking the Addional time link but it's not allowing me to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get an answer for this question? I also have cuts on my hands and touched the path?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I was off.

Even then you wouldn't contract HIV. Not from the water or from touching with your hands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I walk out in the path where the blood was to put something in the garbage bin with no shoes and socks on I did not wash my feet after this, as part of my therapy, am I ok and not infected with HIV.?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You're doing well to face your fears Jane and, no, you can't get HIV like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I cut myself on my kitchen knife, and the panic came into my head, that the lady who helps me clean could have done the same before me, but I know you said before no I can't get HIV like that!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No you can't get it like that Jane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been doing better with my OCD, but today I went out with a friend for lunch and on the table there were toothpicks or cocktail sticks which were NOT wrapped in paper to I picked one up and cleaned between one of my teeth and it made my tooth bleed, I suddenly had a panic, supposing somebody had done the same thing to their teeth and put the stick back in the pot and I used that same toothpick, is this a risk of infection of HIV? I am trying not to panic and think oh well it's done now, and I should not worry, but I am worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No worry of HIV that way Jane.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the worry of cutting myself on the point of the knife, I have a magnetic knife rack, so even if the lady who helps me clean cut herself on the point then I did that is not a risk from HIV infection, so does the virus die immediately it's exposed to the air? Do I need to rate you Dr Chip?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane. The virus can't live long enough to infect you even if by chance the lady had HIV which is doubtful.

You need either to rate this answer or accept the offer more time Jane for us to continue