Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had surgery on rotator cuff tear in July last summer and

I had surgery on rotator cuff tear in July last summer and have improved range of motion since surgery through daily stretching exercises. Struggling to regain strength through strengthening exercises. I do ad-hoc strengthening exercises at home using improvised light weights and also attend bootcamps/classes. I have seen an osteopath since June this year and deep electrotherapy improved strength alot initially. Still can't get up to 50 pressups, and fear I may have overdone bodyweight exercises in bootcamps/classes in August. Sometimes had classes 4 days in a row, but usually only exercises targeting shoulder are burpees/pressups. Not sure whether to give shoulder a complete rest and concentrate on running for a few months or continue shoulder exercises with light weights and limit pressups.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the question.Since you have gained your strength and healing process is almost complete you should continue your shoulder exercises with weights as tolerated this would further increase your range of motion and functionality of the shoulder. Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Uzair, thanks for the reply.
Do you think it is worth continuing to see osteopath for electrotherapy every week given this is quite expensive?
Is it advisable to do pressups to failure i.e maximum, limit pressups to say 20 or do pressups on knees.
Is it a good idea to wear a compression shoulder strap for support when exercising?
Is heat therapy (patches/spray) effective?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for reply. You do not need electrotherapy as such if you can its better, Yes pressups and compression shoulder strap would be good idea , and heat therapy is effective but you do not really need it at this stage.Please do leave a positive rating.Best wishes.