Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband has a very weird skin condition (rash?) that initially

Customer Question

My husband has a very weird skin condition (rash?) that initially we thought was a pimple, which turned into what we thought might have been a bite but after 7 days seems to be spreading. He saw a doctor in the week who had no idea what it could be but gave him some antibiotics anyway but it seems to be getting worse. Looking at all the stuff on the Net it's nothing obvious.he's feeling terrible, really wiped out with a high temp that comes and goes every 6-8 hrs, he's exhausted with no energy at all, headaches and just generally achey and feels terrible. Because we were in a malaria area of South Africa 12 days ago we thought it was that but they did a blood test and it's come back negative. If I send you a picture of what it looks like, can you help? Thank you
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for question.Kindly send me picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Image 1 was taken on Monday.
He saw GP on TuesdayImage 2 was taken today
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the reply.This is definitely an insect bite and the rash around it is localized cellulitis. Insect bites can act this way and the rash can often spreads as the cellulitis increases. If he has been on antibiotics and still having fever and since the rash has not decreased rather is spreading, then this should be urgently addressed at an Urgent Care or an ER and the bite area should be examined for presence of any underlying abscess. The antibiotics should be changed to broad spectrum ones (preferably intra venous) and his blood tests namely a full blood profile should be sent along with a C- reactive protein to assess the amount of infection.I would suggest that you take him to an Urgent Care or an ER. Meanwhile, you should give him 2 tylenol for the fever.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.