Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I suffered an attack of what was diagnosed as Vertigo,

Hi, I suffered an attack of what was diagnosed as Vertigo, about 2 years ago. Since this attack I have experienced many strange symptoms which are somewhat unexplained. The vertigo caused some pretty bad anxiety, which I got under control in a few months, but then a started getting a strange mild spasm/crawling sensation around and above my left eye and temple. Over time this sensation moved across the side of my head and sometimes in my chin (all on the left side). I also now have a blocked feeling in my left ear with mild pain. The doc can't see any problem in my ear. There is also a really sore area on the side/back of my head behind/above myvleft ear. This really hurts when pressed on. I have also just recently found a point in my neck at the back below my left ear that, when pressed on, sends shooting sensations over my head, left ear and down near my left brow. It seems to offer temporary relief when massaged but the uncomfortable sensations return quite quickly. All these symptoms get worse when driving, using computers/smartphones. There also seems to be some relationship with my left eye?? Eye aches and gets sore. All of this started when I started driving much longer distances for work. Up to 8hrs a day driving plus a days work (telecom engineer). My symptoms seems to progress steadily over time. It started with just the tense feeling in my brow, but now it's my brow, my ear, side of my head etc...I have also been diagnosed as having TMJ in the left side if my jaw. Do you have any idea what could be causing these symptoms? I felt generally unsteady in myself for about a year, and had another vertigo attack a couple of months ago from a night of hard dancing around!! These symptoms are making me quite obsessive about rubbing my head and ear and I often wear a cap to try mask the sensations. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks, Nik.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi thereThank you for your question.Have you had your neck investigated? Have you had x-ray or MRI of your neck to have a look at your neck bones and discs to see if they are pressing on any nerves in the neck which could be the cause of your symptoms?What medications, if any, have you tried till now for your symptoms?What kind of doctors have you seen for this problem?Please let me know.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, no there has been no investigation in my neck. My GP keeps saying it's anxiety related. He gave me Citalopram which did nothing. I have not seen anyone else regarding this problem. I have tried diazepam with some success.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Anxiety is a diagnosis that could be causing your symptoms.However, I would still like that you should have your neck investigated with further tests like MRI of your neck to make sure it is normal because we want to rule out all possible causes before labeling it as anxiety.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry how does the phone call work? Does it cost me any extra?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It would cost you 30 dollars extra, yes. The way it works is that you accept the offer and give me your phone number in the private box that will appear so that only I will be able to see your phone number.I will call you on your phone right away.If you cannot afford the 30 dollars price I can reduce the rate for you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If you do not wish to accept the phone call offer, it is not compulsory, it is only a value-added-service, we can continue on here and you can ask as many questions back and forth until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont know if this chat is still active, but I think I have found a diagnosis. MFTP! I have several Myofascial Trigger Points in my back and neck that seem to radiate to the areas I have had the problems with. I am going for Myofascial release therapy soon. Even massaging these areas myself has given a very noticeable improvement. Thank you for your time, goodbye.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
That's great.Hope you get well soon.I would appreciate it if you can click on one of the stars if possible.Do let me know if you have more questions.Kind regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine