Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a 8 year old son. i ask him to do something and everytime

Customer Question

hi i have a 8 year old son. i ask him to do something and everytime he has a huff and he just looks through you when you sometime tell him off he wont do anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How long has this been going on? Does he act the same way with his father?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been going on for about a year now yes he acts the some but hes worse with me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. When he refuses to do something you ask him to what exactly do you do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let the dog out, do his homework,go to the shower anything that he has to do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes but how do you react to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i ask him again and again to do it and not to walk off when im talking to him and his behavior is unacceptable i try to keep a low voice tone but sometimes i will have to riase a voice#
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Do you ever discipline him by withholding something he likes until he does what you tell him to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes tried taking the tablet off him and not letting him go to rugby training and swimming and we use sticker chart to reward for good behaviour
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good. But still he's just as stubborn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think he may be stressed he like to be alone, complain of headake , and acts up, there is a boy in his class that is disruptive and weve had problems before with this lad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do think this is stress for him and I think he will be fine in time--kids grow out of this phase. You're doing just fine with the discipline and the rewards for good behavior. Just sit with him from time to time and tell him how proud you are of him when he does obey you and that you love him very much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to take him to the doctor or have a word with the school what to do next im at the end of my teather
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you first talk to either the school nurse or school counselor. Then, if necessary discuss it with his doctor but I don't think at this point he needs professional counseling