Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am worried that I have been exposed to asbestos

Customer Question

I am worried that I have been exposed to asbestos on a site survey a while back.
Please click on link to get a better picture of my site visit.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yggprl2l7sb5m6p/AABD0FZxrNaEy7dghCLukgTka?dl=0
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I took a look at your photos but why specifically are you worried about asbestos exposure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Chip, I have not forgotten to put a positive feedback on your previous questions just to let you know.
I am worried about asbestos exposure because I know that there could of been materials down there that contained asbestos, i did request information about if there is any asbestos on site but no one knew and I'm scared that I put myself in a situation that I exposed myself to asbestos.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. What did the survey involve physically for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mainly taking measurements but I was also with a team and there job was to handle the materials ie cutting into the pipe And other various activities.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And how long were you at the site?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 days and it was about a year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Why are you just now asking about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because I have been worried about this ever since.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--before I answer just so we can cover things completely--what exactly are you worried about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm worried that I will get a asbestos related disease because of exposure to asbestos and when I was down there I don't know what type of asbestos was down there. I have no answers and it's just ruining my life not knowing what's going to happen to me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. It takes a much longer exposure to asbestos to cause any lung problems at all like asthma, emphysema or mesothelioma. We're talking months to years of exposure--not just three days. So, really, you've been worrying for a year over nothing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But is 3 full days not a lot of exposure?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, not at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I was exposed to the most hazardous form of asbestos for 3 full days? As there's different types.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not even then--it takes a much longer exposure time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I have read various articles that suggest that even one off exposures are dangerous
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, I don't know what you read but that's just not the case
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have read that everywhere and also heard it. And my life has just been on pause since that site visit I feel like there's no point in anything.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So what more can I tell you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do say to what I have read and heard.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That you aren't in any danger here and you really should stop researching things like this on your own. You also should talk to your personal doctor about this too since I'm sure he'll agree with me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr chip, I want to believe you but part of me is still really scared.no offence but do you have that right amount of knowledge about health effects of asbestos exposure to answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I assure you I do.

We can continue here if you'd like but first you'd need to rate my other questions that you said you hadn't forgotten about
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I gave a positive rating for a question I asked before but couldn't get into ther others.
And I just had to pay £11 more is that right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's correct and here's the link to the other one in which we discussed a very similar matter

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/901jr-took-drugs-old-broken-shed-i-m-worried.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Chip, I have rated that answer. But I had to pay again to come back to this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have paid £21 for this question than £11 than £18 is this right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, not to come back here but that second question you just rated didn't compensate me so there may be a problem with your credit card.

But for now what more do you need to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Chip, you assured me that you do know no disrespect but how do you know.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I've had patients with asbestos related lung problems