Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am taking levothyroxine due to having radioiodine treatment

I am taking levothyroxine due to having radioiodine treatment last year for multinodular goitre
I am taking levothyroxine hormone replacement and my t3 and t4 are normal
Can you tell m why i feel emotional and depressed
This,started 8 weeks ago
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the question.One of the less common side effect of levothyroxine is mental depression and feeling low, You might be experiencing this side effect. I would suggest you should talk to your doctor to decrease the dose as your thyroid hormones are normal now, so that you feel better.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating.wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there an alternative to levothyroxine

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.The recommended replacement therapy for an ablated thyroid is with Levothyroixine (T4), and that is the most tolerated and also accepted as the standard. However, there are alternatives like replacement with T3, the other thyroid hormone, which is more potent and more active form of thyroid hormone. You can discuss that with your physician. But more important is to first diagnose why you are feeling depressed and emotional. Sometimes, the cause is a different one. Let me know if you need more information.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.