Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My husband is 78 years old. Had a spinal surgery recently.

Customer Question

My husband is 78 years old. Had a spinal surgery recently. This morning he has very bad hard stool not coming out and is in pain. Something he can do urgently, knowing its Sunday today.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.Sorry to hear about your husband.Using an over-the-counter enema may help him pass his stool which is what I would recommend.A suppository may also help.It is important to evacuate the bowel because hard stools at his age are, at times, very difficult to pass.If an enema or a suppository does not work then he would need to be taken to the ER to help take out the impacted hard stool manually.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars at your end when you are done asking.Kind regards