Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Good evening , Last Tuesday I tested positive

Good evening ,
Last Tuesday I tested positive for chlamydia via eye swap test.Received 4 x 250mg azithromycin which was to be taken as a one off dosage but without paying attention and my head all over the place I took the tables the ought the day instead of all at once which was instructed . Will the antibiotics still work or should I go back to my gp for more
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Even though you didn't take the tablets all at once right when you got them there's no worry here--they will still work just fine for your chlamydia infection Let me know if you need more information please
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The risk of treatment failure is significant if the tablets are not taken together as single dose.Hence, you will need to repeat the treatment as single dose again for safety.Please contact your GP also.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my responseExcellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Dr basu
I had also received feedback from Dr chip explaining it would not effect the treatment of chlamydia if I did not take all at once . Should I then get another dosage to be on the safe side as I see my eyes have not cleared up atol and was told it would clear no problem within 7 days of taken the antibiotics
J_reardon
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
HI J-reardon,Yes there is 5-10% risk of treatment failure if azithromycin is not taken together as single dose.To avoid that, it is better to repeat the treatment again as single dose.Alternately, doxycycline can be used 200 mg daily for 7 days as well.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my responseExcellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information
Would it be safe to buy 4x250mg azithromcyin from lloyds pharmacy and take tomorrow as it is a 2 week waiting list for my gp
J_reardon
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes that should be safe and appropriate. Best wishes
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD