Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 58 year old male, and I am getting headaches regulary

I am a 58 year old male, and I am getting headaches regulary for short periods during the day sometimes 4 or 5 times I also have joint pains and muscle pains from the knees down but not in my feet, these symptoms have been going on now for 6-7 days. can you help me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--has a doctor assess this with any tests or procedures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen a doctor as I am in France and not in my native country
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. I can give you my thoughts as to what's going on and what I as a doctor would do about it but that's all I can do here. Would that be sufficient for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK but I need a little more information first please.
Tell me all you can about the headaches.
With the leg pain are the muscles tender to the touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The headaches are quite painful and generally at the side of the head and can be for about 5 or 10 minutes.
The muscles are tender to touch and some of the veins are more visible than normal on one of the legs but are painful most of the day and night sometimes worse at night, the knee joints particularly at the side of the knees.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK.
There are two possibilities for the headaches--either migraines or something called temporal arteritis which is an inflammation of the temporal artery and is a kind of autoimmune disorder.
The leg problems could be also an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis or polymyagia rheumatica.
I can't be certain that the leg pain and the headaches are related to the same thing.
As a doctor I would get an MRI of your brain and head, blood tests including antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate and C reactive protein
There is treatement for all of this including methotrexate, prednisone, and injectables like Humira
Of course you really need to see a doctor as soon as you can for the full evaluation and treatment
Please let me know if I can give you any more information you think you might need about what I've said
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information I thought it could be related to maybe Diabetes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, diabetes can cause a burning type of leg pain but not muscle tenderness and one-sided headaches wouldn't be typical of diabetes
Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.