Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Approx 6 months ago I had a strange clicking/popping feeling

approx 6 months ago I had a strange clicking/popping feeling just behind my sternum area.. it was followed by a warm, tingling sensation which went all around my ribs from front to back. The following day I started having severe muscle spasms in my back..these continued on and off for several days then stopped. Since then I have had painful tingling around my ribs,on and off, and am having really painful muscle spasms in my abdomen.. I have also started to have very painful burning spasm which originates in sternum area and travels up to my neck, jaws, cheeks and sides of my head,also under my axilla and upper arm. I have had ECGs, X Ray, blood tests, CT and MRI scan, but to no avail..the last doc I saw suggested it may have nerve origin.. please help Im getting worse
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This sounds like a Radiculopathy, which essentially means that there is nerve compression at the level of the thoracic spine most likely the T4 to T8 area, since the area you mention is supplied by nerves originating from this spinal level. The most likely culprit is a slipped disc that is irritating the spinal cord and compressing the originating nerves causing inflammation and signs of paraesthesias (tingling, numbness, pain and pins and needles). Muscle spasms are an accompanied feature of nerve compression as the nerves supply these muscles and when irritated and inflamed they fire indiscriminate signals and trigger contractions causing spasms.I would suggest that you consult a Neurologist, get a Nerve Conduction Study and Electromyogram done, these two tests will pin point the exact location of the compression and site of the nerve lesions. Along with that an MR Myelogram of the Thoracic spine is also required.Most of the times the treatment is conservative encompassing non steroidal anti inflammatory medication and physiotherapy to strength the muscles of the back. The prolapsed discs usually resorb over time and symptoms disappear. If the symptoms aggravate or are not alleviated by the above then a short course of steroids (prednisolone) is given. That is how treatment is initiated and about 70 percent of the times, it eliminates the pathology without need of further intervention.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Let me know if you require more information.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much, sounds like a good suggestion as I have some compression fractures in my spine T8 T9 T10, which may possibly be a cause.. I was at my GPs this morning in tears...I asked if I could be referred to a neurologist, and she agreed...however I am under the care of a Neuro-Surgeon at the moment due to the spinal fractures , so am wondering if I should ask him first...I am so glad I got your feedback.. Bless you

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
It is indeed a pleasure to have been of help to you.Yes, a neurosurgeon is also well versed in such conditions and since, he has been treating you for a while, you will feel more comfortable discussing this with him and treatment will be more efficient this way.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Let me know if you require more information.Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.