Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I recently had a blood test (was an body general health

Customer Question

Hi - I recently had a blood test (was an body general health check and tested 47 parameters) - everything was in normal range apart from Uric acid which was slightly high - is this anything to be concerned about? I have no symptoms.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.If the uric acid level was high with everything else in the normal range, and if you have no conditions like gout or kidney stones, then you should cut down on foods containing high purine. These include all kinds of red meats, meat extracts, meat gravy, anchovies, herring, dried beans, dried peas, mushrooms, beer etc. Foods to be taken occasionally are fish and seafood (other than high purine seafood), oatmeal, wheat bran, and wheat germ.And foods that are safe to eat are: Green vegetables and tomatoes, fruits, breads and cereals that are not whole-grain, butter, buttermilk, cheese, and eggs, chocolate and cocoa, coffee, tea, and carbonated beverages, peanut butter and nuts etc.You should have your uric acid levels checked serially after diet modification, you can also request your PCP to refer you to a Nutritionist for a proper diet plan to avoid purine rich foods.Let me know if you need more information.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.