Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am a 52 year old woman who has lost her eyebrows nearly,

Hi I am a 52 year old woman who has lost her eyebrows nearly, skin wrinkled and dry, a little depressed very tired and had to have four courses of antibiotics since June for 2 chest infections, impetigo on back of shingles and ear infection with 50% hearing loss for 2 weeks.
Only finding is TSH 6.9.
Is this the reason for my symptoms and can I have levothyroxine? Doc says not high enough yet?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Yes that is the reason for some of your symptoms. Your TSH is high and indicates an underactive thyroid. Yes you need to be treated with levothyroxine, no need to wait till it increases more since your symptoms will also increase. Further tests may be required to know the cause for the hypothyroidism. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to write a prescription for me if I provide a copy of the results from my General Practitioners?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I want be able to do that since I have not examined you. You need to consult another doctor in your location. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr.Ravoof,

I have just had more blood tests done and requested my previous panel from 06/05/15:

Mildly elevated eosinophil and basophil counts

serum free t4: 13.8pmol/l (RANGE 7.9-20.0)

TSH -6.9 pmol/l (RANGE 0.34-5.60 MU/L)

Bilirubin 7 (5-17)

Alk Phos 89 (25-92)

ALT 23 (0-40))

Thyroid peroxidase Ab <1.0 iu/ml (0-8 IU/ML)

So as not Hashimotos say TSH is a blip? How? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. This is the laboratory picture in subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH) which is defined as a serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) level above the upper limit of normal despite normal levels of serum free thyroxine. Those suffering from SCH have a high rate of progression to clinically overt hypothyroidism. Also since you have hypothyroid symptoms, levothyroxine therapy is indicated for you even if you have SCH. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much- I have printed your excellent replies and will make a private endocrinologist appointment if GP refuses to treat! Feeling very poorly today.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Best wishes, you will soon feel better. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor says thyroid can not be the problem because TSH is raised in the absence of autoantibody-even though only ONE was tested-I have had elevated anticardiolipin antibodies for years causing miscarriage and a prem. delivery where baby died. Surely I am more likely to develop an autoimmune disease?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. What exactly did your doctor say? I am not able to understand his explanation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he said that raised TSH in absence of raised anti-thyroid autoantibody is not real hypothyroidism.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,Thanks for your reply.That is not correct, and there are many causes for hypothyroidism. At this point I would suggest you to take a second opinion from another doctor in your location. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/basics/causes/con-20021179Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I contacted my GP Surgery yesterday and they said that the TSH is 1.3 now and normal free t4. No treatment and this has happened in 3 months.

How on earth can it be swinging so violently and do I still need to see an endo do you think? x

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes with such variations in the lab values and also with your symptoms it will be better for you to consult an endocrinologist. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On Friday I visited my GP to collect results. They only did TSH and no other thyroid hormones. However GfR is less than normal (previous reading 83ml/min/1.73m squared. Also white count not normal-but don't know which ones were out. If GFR is slipping wouldn't that also suggest hypothyroid picture?