DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My mother is 93 years old. The two hip replacements and 1 knee

Customer Question

My mother is 93 years old. The two hip replacements and 1 knee replacement carried out many years ago are now badly worn. Her diabetes means that her hands are quite numb. Her shoulders are weak and she barely manages to rise from an arm chair. She is barely able to walk with a wheeled frame. She is prone to falls. She would like to continue living independently albeit in her existing sheltered accommodation. How do we explore different mobility aids? I purchased an electric chair for her but the arms don't extend sufficiently to enable her to get sufficient leverage to get up from it? Where do we go from here?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloThere is no machine aid that is going to be safe given this description.She needs home assistance and checks, which she will qualify for.As to what machine aids she needs a PM&R assessment to do this based on exam.These md specialists are now widely available.Good Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and your city and state. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.