Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

There i'm currently awaiting various tests due to getting

hi there
i'm currently awaiting various tests due to getting various random pains in joints. it started off in one wrist, then spread to fingers, then down to the elbow, then the other hand, then my testis and then also my back. My doctor mentioned a possibility of an auto immune system issue where my body constantly feels like its fighting infection and is attacking random areas of my body trying to find the cause. My lymph nodes are constantly up with that kind of tingling seeping sensation and hard as stones.
But something very strange happened. I caught a cold a few days ago and during the duration of my cold my pain in all my joints lessened? Not being a doctor i dont know how the immune system works but is it possible that by getting a cold the immune system focussed its attention on the cold and left my other areas alone? now the cold has gone literally the next day my pain is coming back?
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
many thanks
mike
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yours is an interesting conjecture but, no, a cold or any other infection would not cause an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis or polymyalgia to briefly remit and lessen its symptoms. It is possible, however, that the discomfort from the cold somewhat distracted your attention from the pain. Let me know if you need more information please