Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I don't want my 4 year old to get the nasal flu inoculation

Customer Question

I don't want my 4 year old to get the nasal flu inoculation they are administering in his school. As its a live virus if he doesn't get it will he contract flu from s child that does get the live virus?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
HelloI amCustomerand I would be helping you today.The vaccine is a live vaccine but uses a live attenuated strain of the virus which means that children who get this would not develop flu as the virus has been weakened so as not to cause flu.But children who get this vaccine will continue to shed the virus and if your child is not vaccinated he is likely to get exposed to the same weakened strain of the virus from other children.Because the strain is a weak one he would not develop the flu but would develop immunity all the same.This is known as herd immunity and is considered to be advantage of live vaccines.In fact polio has been eradicated from most of developing countries by taking advantage of herd immunity provided by live attenuated vaccine of polio virus as even children who have been missed in routine immunization have been exposed to attenuated virus shed by children who have been immunized. These children have developed immunity to polio without getting vaccinated and without getting polio.This is the initial answer, use "reply" button if you need to know anything else in the matter.