Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I suffer from IBS and recently I'm getting Sulfur Burps, I

I suffer from IBS and recently I'm getting Sulfur Burps, I was wondering what could take to clear it. I take Pipso Bismol sorry about the spelling and it works straight away. Have suffered with IBS for a long while but never had these burps until recently. They got away and come back later. Thank You David
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Basically burping is how your body expels excess air from your stomach. This is a normal reflex caused by swallowing air. Excess air may be swallowed if you eat or drink too fast, talk while you eat, chewing gum or sucking on hard candies, by drinking carbonated beverages, or by smoking.Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) will have the same effect. If the stomach acid rises up into your esophagus, this will lead you to swallow repeatedly to clear the material, thereby leading to swallowing more air and further burping. Therefore for treatment and to reduce gas, please try the following suggestions:Avoid foods and beverages that contain excess air such as carbonated drinks, and milk shakes.Avoid overeating, or eating too rapidly, or eating while under emotional stress.Drinking large amounts of liquids with meals or soon after eating meals must also be avoided. You can have liquids after 10 or 15 minutes. Drinking may introduce air into the stomach especially when liquids are taken with a straw.Exercise is also helpful since physical activity may help to move the gas through the digestive tract. Regarding medication I would suggest either zantac or prilosec which will decrease acid production from the stomach. You may take them for a few days and see whether they are beneficial. However despite taking this medication for a week, if your symptoms still continue then please contact your doctor. Take care.