DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My seven year old granddaughter has had severe vomiting bouts

My seven year old granddaughter has had severe vomiting bouts on a few occasions in the last 3 years. she has been sent to A & E on 3 occasions as she cannot even keep water or flat seven up down. It is so severe that eventually she will bring up dark brown bile after irritating her stomach lining. She is limp and exhausted for about 2 to 3 days and can hardly walk. This has resulted in missing school several times during the term. The hospital checks her pulse, temp & urine and puts her on a drip and then send her home saying it is a stomach virus. I have raised 3 boys and have never seen a child suffer so dreadfully from vomiting. It's not food poisoning even though her body reacts as if she has been poisoned. It is extremely distressing for the parents and the child but we never get a proper diagnosis. I feel the doctors just put it down to the child catching a tummy bug in school, yet it never occurs when a stomach bug is doing the rounds and nobody else in the house gets it!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

is she gaining weight properly and growing properly?

does she have symptoms of diarrhea?

she could be having food allergies which could be causing these episodes.

she could be very allergic to milk or wheat gluten or certain oils which are being used to cook her food

her family might need to keep a food diary of what she eats to see what foods might be causing her vomitting and dehydration episodes.

she ideally should consult with a pediatric gastroenterologist who can do some testing and evaluate her GI system.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe doctors have probably not considered cyclic vomitting syndrome.This is an illness of children.It comes and goes.And kids grow out of it.Even kids though can get stomach ulcers and gastritis that can act up intermittantly.The child should have a breath test for h pylori, the bacteria that causes these, to make sure this is not the case. I am a double board certified clinical doctor and have taken care of families for over 20 years.Please do a positive rating on this post if you appreciated my expertise.Find me [Dr. Thomas] as needed for further questions.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.