Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My son who is 23 has had an ultrasound to determine a large

Customer Question

my son who is 23 has had an ultrasound to determine a large soft painless mass on the side of his neck. doctor through it might have been a benign cartroid body tumour. he has not other symptoms and is in good health. NO weight loss. fever , sore throat etc
the ultrasound showed a large contained cystic mass with little hard bits in. no evasive spread. just one large cystic mass.
he has to have mri to confirm exactly what it is. doctor doesnt think cancer but want mri to rule out. could be infection!
are we right in assuming it is nothing serious
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
Yes, you are correct in assuming this.
I totally agree with the steps in the workup and I agree with the MRI to confirm.
This sounds totally appropriate and I think he has nothing to worry about!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why was their hard small bits in within the cystic mass. Radiography also said had he been anywhere radioactive!

they have fast tracked him to see a consultant first. will the consultant be able to tell from the ultrasound.

if he has not other lumps or bumps and is feeling well why has been passed through fast track

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are the hard bits within the cystic mass. Why could he not tell what it was
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still waiting for an update in my additional questions
the hard bits could be anything. probably calcium deposits
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if the cystic mass is contained , but with possible calification bits in and has my son has no other symptoms can this be assumed that this is not cancerous and that the cystic mass is just 'one of those things'. he is seeing the consultant next week.
yes, you can assume that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why can't the radiographer see that it is benign them and instead of scaring is with saying he has to rule out cancer and wil fast track us
they just need to confirm I'm sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm assuming that the cystic mass is not anything to do with the thyroid as it is on the side of neck. If he had primary thyroid cancer he would have others symptoms as well I think
I agree with your statement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do we know its not papillary Thyroid carcinomA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the consultant know before biopsy
I don't know without knowing the full history
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would he not any more symptoms other than just a solitary non evasive cystic mass on side if neck
Not necessarily
He might only have that as an issue
but I'm not worried about this cystic mass
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u. Yes I have finished with my questions and have rated u top score
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if I have paid another £24 via logged in again. Wanted to ask if the solitary cystic neck mass with micro calcification in is non serious
can you open a new question for "Dr. Phil only"