Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My sister (34 years) diagnosed with Leukemia AML I don't

Hi, My sister (34 years) diagnosed with Leukemia AML I don’t know the subtype exactly yet, but doctor assured me its not M6 or M7, and its not APL , however it reached the SCF around the spinal cord and the brain, she got induction, and she got intrathecal chemotherapy, and now she is in remission, and now they want to make her a bone marrow transplant or stem transplant, from a donor, which is her sister . is this good or bad, and what are her chances
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
This is good chances
She is getting aggressive therapy and has a good match.
Also, she is young.
All of these things are going well for her. I would say things are looking positive overall
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr.Phil, my 2nd question is about the operation, what is the sucsess rate, I know about the GvHD, but whatis it exactly and how much likly to get it, and is there any other options that could be considered better option for her?

It depends on the type of transplant, the type of cancer and many other factors. GVHD is a real thing for sure. Usually 30-40% but this depends on a lot of factors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Like what? and what types of transplant there is, the type of cancer as I mintioned befor is AML sup type can be 1 or 2 or 4 or 5, and the transplant is allogenic

It depends on how close of a match she is