Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I think my husband is suffering from Alzheimer's, he forget

Customer Question

Hi I think my husband is suffering from Alzheimer's, he forget thinks a lot, his mood changes very quickly, his depressed. I have spoken to him about this but his in denial. His mother is suffering from Alzheimer's & has has difficulty speaking & moving around, I'm very scared if my husband doesn't go for treatment he will get worse. We have 4 beautiful children who are suffering from they fathers behaviour.
My husband is not registered with a doctor so I can not speak to his doctor, please help me.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.
I am sorry that your husband is having so much trouble, but could you clarify what information that can be provided over the internet would be helpful to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to knw what steps to take as my husband doesn't want to go to the doctors.
The only way that he can get a proper diagnosis and treatment is to see a doctor.
Although Alzheimer disease is very common, there are some other causes of forgetfulness, and some of these are very amenable to treatment.
Do you think that he would be more willing to see his doctor if he thought there was good treatment available for his condition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he says nothing is wrong with me it you with the problem. Is Alzheimer's inherited? He thinks I'm going to take the kids away from him. His become very negative.
My husband is only 32 years old. I'm very scared as I have seen my mother deteriorating over the years.. I can see my husband getting g worse too.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are some people in whom the Alzheimer disease is inherited. There are some cases that are sporadic and some that are inherited. The early onset form of Alzheimer is more likely to have a genetic component.
It would be much less common, though, for a 32 year old to have Alzheimer disease. It is possible to develop Alzheimer disease at this age, but it is far less common. However, if his mother started having symptoms in her 30s, then there would be more of a concern that he could also develop a genetic form of Alzheimer disease that will affect him in his 30s.
Since Alzheimer disease is less common, that would make a proper evaluation even more important.
If he is not willing to trust your assessment that he is having problems that warrant evaluation, then it may require input from someone that he may trust more, such as a sibling or close friend that has known him for a while. Sometimes, a group intervention where the individual hears similar information from multiple friends and family may be necessary for an individual to accept that a visit to the doctor is necessary.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked his friends to speak to him, he listens but just brushes it under the carpet.
If the friends also believe that he is having this problem, then he may need a larger group intervention all at one time.