Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a very itchy hot bright red rash on the front of my

I have a very itchy hot bright red rash on the front of my neck, armpits and upper arms. I have taken antihistamine - Cetirizine Dihydrochloride and used Hydrocortisone cream for a week now but the rash is getting worse. The itching wakes me up at night.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the rash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. No.
An itchy, red rash can be due to many possibilities. It certainly is common that it is a type of allergy causing inflammation, so the use of an antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream was a reasonable intervention. It still could be this cause, but some people need a stronger course of medicines, such as a short course of oral steroids.
It is also possible that this could be due to an infection, either a bacterial or a fungal infection. If it is a bacterial infection, there is no good medicine available over the counter for treatment. However, there are some antifungal medicines available over the counter that can help a fungal infection, such as clotrimazole.
If it is more severe, then it would be appropriate for you to be seen by your doctor. If the rash is less severe, then trying another over the counter intervention, such as the clotrimazole, would be an option.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.