Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Over seven years ago i had a reversed illiostomy - following

Over seven years ago i had a reversed illiostomy - following ovarian cancer that had also spread to the large intenstine - leaving a large hernia which has increased in size. However at a recent checkup on my hernias I was told that the large distension on the right side of my gut which I had assumed was a hernia was not one. Bloods were taken (results not in yet) and a CT scan will be booked. It would be helpful to have some ideas what the swelling might actually be. Cancer having returned is an obvious concern of mine though the doctor did not give any indication of anything.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
Have you lost weight?
any other symptoms?
did you have a recent CA 125 level?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I've not lost weight.

No other symptoms

Waiting for CA 125 results. Last was years back

has this swelling been there a long time? how long? has it grown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Probably been there for a year. It has increased in size. It feels soft and mallable, and I have no pain. It overs an area larger than my hand

Okay. This could be fluid accumulation in the belly. Sometimes cancer can do this. it is called ascites. We have no way to be sure without a test. If it is not a hernia that is a reasonable thing it could be.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.If your CA 125 level was normal, then this is not likely cancer.This can be fat swelling commonly --a benign condition.Yes fluid accumulation also possible but cannot be localized like you said. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I expect other symptoms to indicate a return of cancer, if that is what it is?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes with return of cancer you will develop severe constipation, bowel obstruction, nausea, vomiting and inability to eat.That also leads to weight loss, and anemia worsening over time.Hence, this is unlikely.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD