Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I ve been having consistent heartburn. I'm going to see a

Customer Question

I ve been having consistent heartburn. I'm going to see a doctor about it, but I have been taking PEPCID AC. It says to stop using after two weeks. I haven't taken for a straight two weeks, only episodically, but it still comes back., though it works well. Should I be taking it for two straight weeks? Is that thecoptimimum time needed for it to be truly effective? Is there a danger in using it longer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It really needs to be taken consistently on a daily basis for the two week to be most effective. You can do that starting now and continuing for the full two weeks. There isn't really a danger to taking it longer but if after two weeks it's discontinued and the heartburn returns then you need to have an acid reflux evaluation with an upper endoscopy and a screening for an H pylori stomach infection Please let me know if you need any more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I have a follow up but having some problems with the payment. For some reason it's not taking
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It got through--thanks. But go ahead if you need to continue our conversation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asked about efficacy of endoscopy is there better way or is that standard. Admittedly worry about procedure. Maybe nothing but wondered if other procedures are just as effective at this stage
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I answered that on your new page