Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I think I may have been 3 weeks pregnant when I took the morning

I think I may have been 3 weeks pregnant when I took the morning after pill. I had sex and took morning after pill then had my normal period on time on the 9th August I then had sex again and took morning after pill as I couldn't get in to see my doctor to prescribe me a regular form of contraception and have now missed my period due 9th September and have had 4 positive pregnancy tests. Im still panicking that I may have been pregnant from the first time and am worried if i was that taking the second morning after pill may gave harmed foetus. Can you help ??
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. Which morning after pill did you take? Most of them are high doses of progesterone. This is not harmful to an established pregnancy. But if you didn't miss a period until September 9th and the last normal period was August 9th, the most likely conception was around August 23rd. You'll want to get an ultrasound sometime between October 1st and October 20th. That is the most accurate way to tell with certainty when the conception occurred. No matter when, taking the progesterone type of morning after pills are not a concern. Although Plan B is listed as a Category X drug, there are no studies showing any problems in pregnancies that are already established and healthy. I hope this information was helpful.